Hidden facts you might not know about Web on its 25th Birthday

This post was last updated on July 23rd, 2020 at 11:34 am

  1.  Tim Berners-Lee – who, with a small group of helpers, wrote the necessary software and designed the protocols needed to implement the idea. And then he launched it on the world by putting it on the Cern internet server in 1991, without having to ask anybody’s permission.
  2. The first ever website is still online.
  3. Garfield the cartoon cat once offered a free email service.Can you guess the domain name?

    “It was gmail.com,   later acquired by Google.


  4. One of the main reasons the internet exploded during the 1990’s is because of a popular yet not-so-well-known web browser called Mosaic.
  5. Although Al Gore says that he “took the initiative in creating the internet,” it’s actually someone named J.C.R. Licklider who is often referred to as the father of the internet.
  6. The number of senior citizens online has more than quadrupled within the last 10 years.
  7. To copy the entire internet to a disc, it would take over one billion DVD’s.
  8. The first internet banner ad was launched in 1994.
  9. Over a billion people watch videos on YouTube every month, averaging 4 hours each per month.
  10. Since the creation of the internet, file sharing has been a major issue for the authorities.
  11. 72 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute, and YouTube’s copyright-checking software scans over 100 years of video every day.
  12. It’s estimated that 80% of all images on the Internet are of naked women. I spent a few hours trying to verify this statistic. I think the remaining 20% are of cats.

    You can follow us on Twitter , add us to your circle on Google+ or like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest happenings in the world of tech.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *